Brochstock Videos :)

Anything Goes!

Brochstock Videos :)

Postby Steve on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:22 am

So, its been a while but I've been raking through my old videos of Brochstock through the years. I have pretty much full coverage of it from 2002 to 2004, and I've posted some of the more entertaining highlights to youtube. I invite you all to reminice, or get aquainted, with the institution that was Brochstock :D

I've arranged the videos into three playlists, one for each year

If you remember these concerts, please get in touch with anyone else who will and link them, I'm sure they'll enjoy the journey down memory lane. For everyone else, heres a wee introduction to what these videos are about...
Broch forums memorable quotes
Guest "Typical Frank Zappa fan...no taste in music and a mad ginger afro!!!!"
Joe "u r all teh gay guests ! I bt u lk it up teh ass!!! R0FLX0RZ!!!!!!!! "
drpepper "perhaps cutting his feet off with a mobile phone would be more humane"
Steve
Benevolent Operator

History of Brochstock

Postby Steve on Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:35 am

The idea of Brochstock began in 2001; two bored physics students in 6th year wrote a song called "Whos Yer Daddy?", and forced their mates to play guitar and drums so that they could form a band and play it. The band was called Hard Spank and they needed a gig.

And so it was that when charity fundraising things were being organised (as you do when your in 6th year) it was decided to run a gig. A comittee was formed, headed by the two school captains of the time, Mark Sutherland (aka Joe ... of Hard Spank) and Jennifer Angus. The format was to be a battle of the bands, and interest came from 7 bands who wanted to play. In march of 2002 the gig was set up by the members of Hard Spank with a LOT of help from Mr Torrance of Drama Dept fame, and Alan Strachan who continues this day to do loads to support local music. Smitty and Joe who had to bunk out of Miss Stewarts maths class for this were subsequently given detention :D

The bands of 2002 were
Domain
Sexual Haggis
Naked Lunch
Black Ice
Hard Spank
Thundercats
Eco Red

Judging duties were performed by James Noble(guitar teacher), Iain Dyga(owns dygas), Mr Makintee (music dept), and the 100th person to have walked through the door, Scott Wallace. Naked Lunch took 3rd, Eco Red 2nd, and Hard Spank took 1st place. As a bonus, Smitty and Dave Sim performed the Hoe Dance at the end.

Brochstock 2003 had a lot to live up to after the first year, which ended up in a packed hall with a capacity of 300. Mr Pete Buchan was handed the torch to run the gig, along with Hamish. Hard Spank were cordially invited back to open the show, and again ended up in the role of setting up the stage and sound system, along with Mr Torrance this year. One band which couldn't play, but had been anticipated the year before, performed this year. They were called 'Sick Youth' and appeared in their new guise of 'Diversion'. They performed the eagerly awaited song 'Born To Die' for the first time. Another eagerly awaited band called Blind Lemon also debuted this year, they had existed in concept since before Hard Spank but never aquired a drummer. Naked Lunch evolved into 'The Band From UNCLE' and were one of three bands playing this year who were now aspiring Aberdeen based bands.

The bands of 2003 were
Hard Spank
Diversion
Dr Flaw
The Band From UNCLE
Blind Lemon
Pure Lead

The judges this year were the presenters of the Kinnaird Radio show BUTR. In second place were Pure Lead, and in first were Dr Flaw

Mark Wiseman (aka Discsos) took up the role of organising Brochstock 2004 despite only being in 4th year after a lack of interest from that current 6th year. I once again ended up hauling gear and organising sound along with members of pure lead and Joe (who again provided most of the backline). Mr Torrance again ran sound for the night. Again a substantial crowd filled the Academy main hall and the night was almost a flawless success. Hard Spank were again invited back to open the show, the previous years winners Dr Flaw were invited back and so were Pure Lead, who now had a permanent bassist and Matthew Carle as lead singer, and The Band From UNCLE.

The bands of 2004 were
Hard Spank
Out Of Order
Dr Flaw
The Band From UNCLE
Diversion
The Tonics
Pure Lead

Extended sets from The Tonics and The Band From UNCLE unfortunetly meant that there was only time for Pure Lead to play a fraction of their set. Aside from that the night was a huge success and the last one I have video for.

Brochstock 2005 was organised by some of the 6th year at the time (I wasn't invited to help at this one so I dont know). Local 'pro' band Twenty Eight provided all the backline, all the sound equipment (about 1/4 of what they used to run the station gigs) and...just about everything actually.

The bands of 2005 were
Crimson Red
Bundy
Us Or Them

They played to a crowd of about 30 people who came expecting to see Pure Lead and Eco Red.

Brochstock 2006 was organised by Ricki McLaughlin and Rachelle Cardno and took place in the social area of the academy instead of the main hall like previous years gigs. Ricki was a member of Rebel Thunder which would have conrtibuted to his interest in running BS for this year, unfortunetly Sandy couldn't make it so we got Smitty to help out on guitar and played under the name of The Jobbie Nettles, which was fun. I dont remember much about this gig, but looking back on the forum I've got a bands list that looks something like this:

Fading Out
UpFront
Ignite
Steely glint
The Defiance
The Jobbie Nettles

Which may be right or wrong, I dont really remember. It was a slightly smaller event and attracted a crowd of 150, which is probably a capacity crowd for the social, but everyone enjoyed themselves.

There were no BS gigs in 2007 or 2008. But because of this event we've seen bands formed and go on to do other things, and more music events taking place in the area. It is of my opinion that without BS, North East Rock and last years band nights might never have happened. Rise, Liars Dice, Dr Flaw, Rebel Thunder and Pure Lead are a few bands I can think of off the top of my head that might have never existed. And one things for sure, these forums wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

Forum discussion about BS2003
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=503

Forum discussion about BS2004
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=817

Forum discussion about BS2005
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1163

Forum discussion about BS2006
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1561

Steve.
Last edited by Steve on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add links + finish chronology
drpepper "perhaps cutting his feet off with a mobile phone would be more humane"
Steve
Benevolent Operator

Re: Brochstock Videos :)

Postby Gary on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:26 am

2006 was organised by Ricki McLaughlin and Rachelle Cardno if i member correctly steve. Steely Glint, Defiance, Jouby Nettles, can't member any more! Oh wait I think the Hurt, who are now skitzofrenik
Gary
Uber Forum Regular

Postby Gary on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Ah i see you went back and edited your post and now my one looks out of place! Boo you!! Boo you!!!

Good plug for Rise though, rumour has it they are fecking amazing....
Gary
Uber Forum Regular

Postby Hamish on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Fliken?

I came on to ask if anyone had any of these videos but see youve stuck em up.

Any chance of a DVD?? Maybe a bit much to ask since we over played our set. I jest.

Cheers

Hamish x
Hamish

Postby Steve on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Sure man, nae bother. Which concert would you like on said DVD? Or perhaps you'd like a compilation of the sets you played from the three years?

Steve.
Steve
Benevolent Operator

Postby Hamish on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Aye that would be amazing, it would be good to reflect on past victories and fuck ups. Ill give you a shout and get a dvd for you next time im in the broch!
Hamish

Postby Guest on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:58 pm

jist saw some videos on you tube. amazing seeing all that stuff fae 2002.almost forgot a that happend.good memories.ony chance o seeing extended versions o the 2002 vids. Dave West ( formerly of the thundercats) :)

Postby Steve on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:45 am

Hey Dave!

Right, I'd love it if these forums were busy enough that I could just come back here and check up on it every day. Unfortunatly I think that social networking sites have sort of killed off this medium :(

If anyone wants copies of this stuff I'm happy to run off DVDs for folk. Get in touch with me on my bebo or facebook page and we can arrange things properly :)

http://www.bebo.com/duthie_s
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profi ... =593493390

Steve.
Steve
Benevolent Operator

Return to Open Chat